What is the 24-Month STEM OPT Extension?
Post-completion Optional Practical Training can be extended by 24 months for certain STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) degree holders that meet the requirements.
- The company must be E-Verified
- The job must be in your field of study, paid, and more than 20 hours per week
- There must be a bona fide employer employee relationship
- You must have an eligible CIP code on your I-20
- This list is not complete. You must carefully read the ISS 24-Month Extension Form for other important info you need to know for the STEM OPT extension.
To apply for the 24-month extension, turn in the following documents to ISS:
ISS recommends submitting all extension materials to our office 100 days before your current EAD expires. USCIS must receive your complete application before your current EAD card expires.
Once you have completed and turned in your application to ISS, we will process your request and issue you a new I-20 form. With a copy of this new I-20 and the other materials listed in the ISS OPT application form, you will mail your OPT application to the USCIS. USCIS will process your request and issue your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) if it is approved.
Here are additional links you may find helpful: