**All international students who were present in the U.S. last year are required to file taxes this year. This includes students who did not earn U.S. income and scholarships.**

*F-1 and J-1 students should not use software such as TurboTax, H&R Block, etc. These are for residents. If you use these to file your taxes, you will be filing incorrectly and could be subject to penalties from the IRS as well as jeopardize your legal status*

Tax Filing Instructions

ISS staff are not tax experts, and we are not qualified or allowed to give tax advice.  However, each year we partner with organizations that can assist students in filing their taxes or provide access to software that can help you prepare your taxes.  Sign up information can be found in the ISS Weekly Update.

Missing your W-2 or 1042-S?

If you have U.S.-based income or scholarships, you should have received a W-2 and/or a 1042-S (fellowship earnings or regular wages covered under a tax treaty). You cannot complete your taxes without these documents if you have U.S.-based income or scholarships.

If you are employed by UMD:

If you are employed outside of UMD and have not received these documents, you should tell your employer and ask them to help you get a replacement.